Welcome to Shaping Software! Shaping Software is written for anyone who wants to improve software success. This can include architects, developers, testers, product managers, and project managers. Learn the principles, patterns and practices that will make you more effective.
My purpose for this blog is to share the body of prescriptive guidance in software engineering that I’ve built over the years, while working with customers and experts in the field. While there’s a lot of existing information on software engineering, it can often be difficult to find, understand or use. My hope is that you will benefit from this collection of principles, patterns and practices that I share. In return, I hope to get feedback and continue to improve the body of knowledge.
About the Author
My name is J.D. Meier. For more than a decade, I was a Principal Program Manager on the Microsoft patterns & practices team where I built software and prescriptive guidance for solution architectures. I focused on software engineering and quality attributes such as security, performance, reliability, and more.
I’ve performed more than 750 architecture and design reviews for customers and use that experience to create customer-facing guidance. In addition to books, I’ve authored several knowledge-base articles, MSDN Magazine articles, and online MSDN articles.
- Building Secure ASP.NET Applications (ISBN: 0-7356-1890-9)
- Improving .NET Application Performance and Scalability (ISBN: 0-7356-1851-8)
- Improving Web Application Security: Threats and Countermeasures (ISBN: 0-7356-1842-9)
- patterns & practices Security Engineering Explained
- Performance Testing Guidance for Web Applications (ISBN: 978-0735625709)
- Team Development with Visual Studio Team Foundation Server (ISBN: 978-0735625716)
My Microsoft Projects
- Guidance Explorer (CodePlex)
- Performance Testing Guidance (MSDN)
- Threat Modeling (MSDN)
- Security Guidance (MSDN)
- Security Engineering (MSDN)
- Visual Studio Team System Guidance (MSDN)
- WCF Security Guidance (CodePlex)
My Personal Projects
- Guidance Share Wiki – a body of prescriptive guidance for software engineering, including principles, patterns, and practices.